JSP/Java Hosting, Tomcat Web Hosting
Our Business & Mocha shared hosting plans come with support for shared JSP hosting based on Apache Tomcat, developed by the Jakarta-Apache Project.
Apache Tomcat/5.5.x offers support for Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 specifications, JDK version 1.6.0_x and includes support for all common JSP/servlet applications such as the Struts development framework, JavaMail, etc.
Our heap size max memory is set to 1024MB (1GB) which is more than enough for any type of JSP web application designed to run in a shared JVM hosting environment.
Private JVM: Our Business & Mocha hosting plans are by default based on a shared JVM/Tomcat. If you need advanced Tomcat hosting with a private JVM instance, please click here.
Tomcat restart: We provide an automated Tomcat restart tool which you can use to restart the Tomcat directly from your cPanel!
Supported frameworks & applications: Spring, Struts, JSF, Hibernate, JavaMail and all popular applications!
JSP & Servlet Operation
cPanel (with the mod_jk module) has JSP and servlet functionality enabled on the Apache Web server. The Tomcat engine executes JSP and servlets. Once Tomcat is enabled for a site, cPanel instructs the Web server to send certain requests to Tomcat for processing. Tomcat requires an execution environment known as context, to be set up before it can execute JSPs and servlets properly.
A context is a directory structure on the server from which Tomcat can execute servlets and JSPs. cPanel automatically sets contexts for you.
Deploying JSPs & Servlets
Deploying JSPs and servlets on the cPanel is as easy as uploading a Web site using any FTP client. When Tomcat hosting is enabled for a site using, cPanel creates a default Tomcat context, for the virtual site in the site's web directory.
The context path of each virtual site is: "/home/domain/public_html/WEB-INF".
The WEB-INF directory contains configuration information for Tomcat and is the directory in which servlet class files need to be placed for deployment.
For more information, please visit the official Tomcat5 site at: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/
If you want to reseller sites with support for JSP you can simply purchase one of our Java VPS Reseller Hosting plans which include support for unlimited JSP sites.
1) There is only one WEB-INF available per site - available for your main domain (www.yourdomain.com or domain.com); you can NOT have support for JSP pages and servlets for any sub-domains.
2) We support WAR deployment only for private JVM instance. Currently we do NOT support WAR with our shared JVM plans due to common problems related to incorrect path names in the actual WAR archives. You can deploy your application files via FTP or by using our Web File Manager, and you can deploy any XML or class files in the WEB-INF folder.
3) To restart your Tomcat, you can use the provided automatic Tomcat restart tool which is available under the Software section of your cPanel.
4) JSP and Tomcat hosting support is available for our Linux based Business & Mocha hosting plans. Windows JSP support is offered for our private JVMs
5) We allow 1 JSP site per shared hosting account (shared JVM). We allow unlimited JSP hosting with our private JVM plans